Friday, August 22, 2008

Little Monkey

This could be said of every age and stage so far, but Aidan, you are the most fun right now! I love watching you learning to talk and seeing you soak in everything. That being said, You can have in stitches laughing, fumes of anger, and tears all in the space of a few minutes. You are such a little busy body right now. I thought I'd take a minute to write a few of the funny things that are making you, you.
* I call you a monkey all the time. First, because you climb up and in and over EVERYTHING. Second, because I love to hear you say "oo oo aah aah". Third, because you are small and compact but freakishly strong. The newest party trick is climbing out of your crib. I've been wondering how long it would take you to figure it out because you have been climbing in and out of Morgan's (which is the same model) for almost 2 months. Yesterday when Lorna put you down for nap, she peeked in about an hour later to see if you were awake. You were sitting in your bed reading books but Morgans crib had been pushed next to yours, the hamper was over turned, all the toys and cars were off the shelf, and clothes were strewn all over the room. Aidan is a silly monkey!!

* Aidan's party tricks. I am already planning for gymnastics lessons. We have a swing hammock hanging in our playroom. It's the kind with a big bar across the top. I am amazed every time you come to me and say "up up" I will lift you to the bar and smile ear to ear as you do a full pull up and laugh as I flip your body over the bar. Add to that all of the jumping, climbing on chairs, and loving to hang upside down and I know we have a little gymnast in the making!

* POP! Not only are you a gymnast, but a performer! When we were home this summer Kyah introduced you to the music video "Pop!" from the movie Music and Lyrics. Kyah had made up a dance and would boss Landon into following her every move. You LOVED this song and when the kids would dance. Since coming home from Utah, you have watched the video of you dancing literally hundreds of times. As soon as you wake up you will say "pop" and then watch the kids dancing over and over. You will sing and dance right along. I can't catch it on video very well again because you are becoming all to aware of cameras and don't act natural when they are around. I am going to try to slyly record you dancing around while watching the video of you and your cousins dancing around. It's priceless!!

* Words Aidan can say: We started having you watch Sign Language videos when you were about 7 months. We were shocked at 11 months when one day you started doing the sign for "food". We thought you were blowing kisses so we were blowing kisses back to you. You got so frustrated until we finally got it. Aidan can sign food, drink, more, bath, finished, brush teeth, milk, sleepy, please, thank you, grandma. I thought signing was a silly joke until we did it. I think it has helped us communicate and helped stave off some of the fits that kids throw because they know what they want to say but can't say it (we still have plenty of fits!). Words Aidan can say at 18 months - this list is long - You are so smart!! Daddy, mama, Mogo (Morgan), Kyah, Matt, Wambum (landon), Grandma, papa (grandpa), GG (great grandma), Nae Nae (what he called Lorna), Shawn (which he teases daddy with) food, tootie (cookie), water, bath, shower, duck, car, go, bye bye, hi, phone, happy, sad, baby, book, no, touch, remote, movie (this is said very frequently!), ninish (finished), shirt, shoes, sock, hat, water, milk, bottle, binty (binky), cow, cat, dog, up, please, thank you, kiss, eat, soap, brush, teeth, Donos (McDonalds - yes, we were so proud when you said that one), nany (candy), snack, ice, coke (daddy's coke), fish, bird, dance, ouch, hot, burn, shapes, numers (numbers), Butt (button), dance, zoo, book, back- and I'm sure more I haven't thought of at the moment. When we ask how old you are you hold up one finger and say "one". It's such a cute trick. The problem is, when we ask you your name, we get the same reply "one".
You are even starting to string words together. The other funny thing you have figured out is that a cute face and please will get you anything you want..... and that if you are in trouble, you can make anyone laugh. Clever little monkey!!


* Aidan loves to read and sing. Favorite books : I Can Do It!, Brown Bear Brown Bear, and Polar Bear what do you Hear? by Eric Carle, Where is Baby's Belly Button, Who Said Boo, No, David!, It's Ok to be Different and all the other Todd Parr books
Favorite songs: Itsy Bitsy Spider, 5 Little Ducks, Speckled Frogs, Sugar Pie Honey Bunch, Any song that mommy will dance with him!, Pop! (of course), Old McDonald, Monkey's jumping on a bed
Every day is a new adventure and I can't wait to see what will be your favorite tomorrow. I am trying to resist spoiling your every obsession. Right now you love the Lion King....... only the opening scene (This is the big step up from Baby Einstein and Signing Time). I resist buying every lion toy I see. I love the little growl and the excitement on your face when you see or hear a lion. I just wonder what you are going to be into next.

5 comments:

Intrepidflame said...

Please don't forget to add, "beef" for Jabiz.

Lora said...

Kat I love how you are recording all this for the little ones to read later, such a great idea. Thanks for calling the other day it was so fun to get to talk to you! XOXO

Dave said...

Kat, It is great to interact like this. I feel like you and the grand babies are right here.
Dad

Unknown said...

Kath! Hello. This is Emily. Lindsay Jones came across your blog and forwarded me the link, so I hope you don't mind me sneaking a peek. What CUTE KIDS! It looks like you guys are having endless fun together. Yay! Oh, it's so nice to see you.
I would love love love to talk to you sometime. I'm still at the same old email address, but I have a blog too: web.me.com/erniekim.

Kenny and Kelli Ray said...

I didn't know you had a blog...I'm glad I found it. So cute, and touching.